Port Arthur Tasmania

 

Established in 1830 the Port Arthur penal station developed to house over 2000 convicts, soldiers and civil staff a decade later. It was closed in 1877, lots were sold off, buildings demolished for their materials and the site was ravished by major bush fires in the 1890s. The fascination of the convict past remained and establishment as a tourist destination started the day the site closed.

 

© Rodney Garnett

 

 

 

 

Gallery Details

Port Arthur Tasmania

The Church was built in 1837 with some 1100 people attending services which were compulsory as part of the convict reform program. The building was gutted by fire in 1884 with sections now rebuilt and walls stabilised.

Photo 1 of 12  

View As Proofsheet