An architecture gem, Zamosc, Poland
Stock Photography By Christina Jablonski
Zamosc is a renaissance city in the south east part of the country. It is named after Jan Zamoyski, one of the wealthiest and the most enlightened magnate of the 16th century Poland. He realised the importance of a defensible place near the Ukrainian border, and commissioned the Italian architect Bernardo Morando to work with him on a project. The result was the remarkable city with the merchant houses, colonnaded arcades and one of the best in Europe Main Market Square.
Photo Captions for An architecture gem, Zamosc, Poland
Image #1. The Town Hall, Zamosc, Poland Presiding over the Main Market Square, the Town Hall was built at the turn of the seventeenth century, and then twice redesigned in times to come. The main features are the tower and the fan shaped staircase.
Image #2. The Armenian Houses, Zamosc, Poland The green, 'Wilczek House' built originally in the Baroque style was changed several decades later and named after a town administrator. The yellow house next door is called 'Rudomiczowska'.
Image #3. The Salt Square, Zamosc, Poland The building on the left (partly visible) was the sixteenth century academy of Jan Zamoyski. These days it houses two higher educational institutions, lyceum and university. St Catherine Church is ahead.
Image #4. A figure of an angel, Zamosc, Poland This carving decorates the wall of the Armenian house 'Under the Angel' at the Main Market Square.
Image #5. An arcade, Zamosc, Poland The pictured is one of the elegant arcades on the Main Market Square in Zamosc
Image #6. The Zamosc Cathedral, Poland Like many important buildings in Zamosc, the cathedral was designed by Bernardo Morandi at the end of the sixteenth century. The pictured is a rear view of the church.
Image #7. The Zamosc Cathedral, Poland Like many of the important buildings in Zamosc, the cathedral was designed by Bernardo Morandi at the end of the sixteenth century.
Image #8. An artisan's stall, Zamosc, Poland On Sunday morning an artisan's stall has been set on the edge of the Main Market Square to sell pottery, handiwork, small sculptures and various other pieces.
Image #9. Main Market Square, Zamosc, Poland On Sunday morning the ancient square fills with people. A group of bikies arrive to show off their machines. Among them are two from 1933, one is driven by a man in the polish army uniform from that era. Soon the men and boys surround them to admire these antiques.
Image #10. A motorcyclist Zamosc, Poland An army motorcycle from the 1930s and its rider in the old uniform at the Main Market Square in Zamosc.
Image #11. An artisan's stall, Zamosc, Poland A display of colourful souvenirs.
Image #12. The old houses, Zamosc, Poland A row of houses running along the Rynek Wodny in Zamosc.
Image #13. The Town Hall, Zamosc, Poland The Hall was built on the northern side of the Market in the row of the residential houses. Originally built at the turn of the sixteenth century, then twice redesigned it achieved its present form in about 1770.
Image #14. The School of Music, Zamosc, Poland The school is located on the Water Square (Rynek Wodny). Originally the convent of Saint Clare Sisters, it was built in the mid-eighteenth century. Over the years it served various functions and from 2010 it houses the School of Music.
Image #15. The west side, Zamosc Market Square, Poland The red brick house, Linkowska House from the seventeenth century belonged to the commander of the fortress, engineer and architect Jan M Link. The busts of Minerva and Hercules on the first floor indicate the house was owned by a military man.
Image #16. The blue Armenian House, Zamosc, Poland The blue house called 'Under the Married Couple' or 'Sapphire' comes from the second part of the seventeenth century. It is named so because of the figures of a man and woman in the attic.
Image #17. Zamosc synagogue, Poland The pictured is an elegant interior of the synagogue in Zamosc. Along the walls is displayed a series of the contemporary painting.
Image #18. Zamosc synagogue, Poland The synagogue in Zamosc was built at the start of the seventeenth century in the Mannerist style, which matches the general style of the city. It was a place of worship until the Nazis turned it into a workshop in 1939. It currently houses a museum.
Image #19. The Old Zamosc, Poland This peaceful part of the old town is located east of the Main Market Square. There are small gardens or patches of greenery between the buildings.
Image #20. The Old Zamosc, Poland This peaceful part of the old town is located east of the Main Market Square. There are small gardens or patches of greenery between the buildings.
[ This Stock Photo Set Has Been Viewed 2875 Times Since The Last Reset ]